and the TCRS Online Community accessed at https://app.participate.com/communities/tcrs
PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT
The personal information we collect depends on how you interact with our Site, may include:
- Device Information: When you visit our Site, we may learn information about your browser and operating system (e.g., name, version, settings, etc.), device type and settings, IP address, MAC address, mobile device identifiers, internet service provider, referring and exit pages, the date and time of your visit, and other similar details.
- Website Usage Data: We may collect information about your interactions with our Site, including the pages you visit, links or buttons you click, the search terms you enter, and other similar interactions with the Site.
- Location Data: We may use various technologies to learn your geographic location, including by collecting your IP address or other Device Information, which may depend on your device’s settings for location services and how you interact with us.
- Contact Information: We may collect your business or personal contact information, including your first and last name, postal address, telephone number, and email address, as well as your role, position or title with respect to your employment.
- Payment Card Information and Payment Details: If you make payments to TCRS via the Site (e.g., fees associated with event registration, sponsorship, advertising, content or community membership), then we collect your payment card information and payment details.
- Submitted Content: We collect the information you submit to us via our Site, including, but not limited to, information submitted via forms on our Site (e.g., email@example.com, or “notify me when registration opens”); information submitted to our Site’s online community platforms; information submitted as part of an application, self-assessment, assessment, re-assessment, evaluation, questionnaire, or similar document or form required or requested by TCRS.
- Call records, email records, text records, video, and chat logs: If you call, email, text, or chat with TCRS, we may keep records of those conversations including all such information you have provided to us in connection with such conversation.
- Preferences: We may collect information about your preferences, such as your email preferences.
HOW WE COLLECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We may collect the information described above directly from you, from third parties we partner with, or through cookies or other automated means, as described below:
- Directly from You: We collect information directly from you, including, but not limited to, when you contact us via the Site with questions or comments; provide Submitted Content via our Site; register for an event; create or update a TCRS Community Member Account; or update your email preferences.
- Automatically from Your Device or Browser: Certain information is automatically collected from your device or browser and analyzed when you visit our Site, including Device Information, Website Usage Data, and Location Data.
- From Third Parties: We work with third parties who provide services to us, like analytics companies, advertising and marketing companies, payment processors, email service providers, customer database service providers, and companies that assist with the operation and functionality of our Site and our organization more generally. These third parties may share information they have collected with us. For example, when you make a payment via our Site, any information you provide on the payment page will be collected and processed by our third-party payment processor, which may share certain payment details with us, but will not share your sensitive payment information with us.
- Publicly Available Sources: We may collect information offline and from publicly available sources (e.g., Linked In) and combine this information with information we collect via the Site.
HOW WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
- Access to and Use of Our Site; Analytics: We use the information listed in section 1 (“Personal Information We Collect”) to allow you to access and use the Site. In addition, we use your Device Information, Location Information, and Website Usage Data to monitor and evaluate the performance and functionality of our Website, including as part of our analytic practices, or otherwise to maintain or improve the content, security, and services offered through our Site. Information about Google Analytics’ collection and use of your information can be found here.
- Managing Your TCRS Community Membership: We use the information you provide to us, including, e.g., Submitted Content and Contact Information, to process your membership, and to maintain your status as a Community Member.
- Communications: We use the information you provide to us, e.g., your Contact Information and Submitted Content, to communicate with you, including by responding to your requests and asking for feedback through surveys, reviews or other messages.
- Payment Processing: We use your Payment Card Information and Payment Details to process any payments to TCRS, including, for example, fees associated with event registration, advertising, sponsorship or exclusive content.
- Advertising and Marketing: We use the information listed in section 1 for purposes of advertising and marketing our services online, via email and direct mail, and/or other communication channels, including through partnerships with social media platforms and internet search engines. We may also use your expressed preferences and other collected information to personalize your experience using our Site, and to recommend other products, services or information that we believe you may be interested in.
- Understanding Our Site Users and Customers: We use your Device Information, Location Information, and Website Usage Data to analyze your activity with us (including your interactions with our Site and our emails or other forms of communication). We may keep track of the pages you visit and the manner in which you use the Site to determine what services are most popular and whether to make changes to the Site. We may, from time to time, review your information and the information of other Site users or customers to help us analyze trends, patterns, and preferences.
- TCRS Community Membership: We use your TCRS Community Membership and other information listed in section 1 to operate the TCRS Online Community, including by making certain information and services available to other TCRS Community users.
- Security: We use the information listed in section 1 to protect TCRS and our users and customers from fraud, security threats, and other illegal or harmful activity.
- Legal Obligations: We may use the information listed in section 1 to help us comply with legal and regulatory requirements and to respond to requests from courts, law enforcement agencies, or other government bodies.
- As Otherwise Set Forth in an Agreement: To the extent that TCRS has collected your personal information in connection with a registration, community membership, or sponsorship agreement you’ve entered into with TCRS, then we may use your information for the purposes set forth in those agreements.
HOW WE SHARE PERSONAL INFORMATION WITH THIRD PARTIES
We may share your information with third parties for certain purposes, described below:
- Service Providers: As noted above, we partner with third-party service providers to assist with many aspects of our organization, including operating and providing certain functionalities for our Site (including your TCRS Community Membership) and our organization more generally, and helping us communicate with our users and customers. These third parties may provide services related to any of the purposes described in section 3 (“How We Use Your Personal Information”), and we may share with them the types of information described in section 1 (“Personal Information We Collect”). Your information may also be collected and processed by third parties, such as the payment providers you select, who will process your information independently in accordance with their own privacy notices.
- Marketing Agencies and Data Analytics Providers: We partner with third parties to assist with the advertising and marketing of our business and performing business and website analytics, including to analyzing your interests and activity on our Site (e.g., Google Analytics). We may share with them the types of information described in section 1 (“Personal Information We Collect”), which they may use for their own commercial purposes.
- TCRS Affiliates and Partners: We may disclose certain information to our TCRS affiliates, sponsors and partners for their use; for example, we may share your Contact Information with our sister organizations and TCRS affiliates.
- As Otherwise Set Forth in an Agreement: To the extent that TCRS has collected your information, we may share your information with third parties as set forth in those agreements.
- Successors in Interest: Your information may be transferred to another entity that succeeds to all or part of TCRS’s business in connection with a sale, reorganization, consolidation, or merger.
- Other Third Parties: We and our third party partners and service providers may disclose specific individual information if we or they reasonably believe it is necessary: (i) to comply with applicable law; (ii) to investigate any suspected misuse of the Site; (iii) to protect or defend the rights, property and interests of TCRS, our customers, or the interests of our third party partners or service providers; or (iv) under exigent circumstances, to protect the personal safety of TCRS staff or customers, users of the Site, or the public.
YOUR PRIVACY CHOICES
You can control the information we collect and use in the following ways:
- Automatically Collected Location Data: You can disable location-based services on your mobile device or web browser by adjusting the settings on your device or browser. This will prevent our Site from automatically accessing your device’s location information. Note that some services may not be available if you disable location-based services.
- Emails: You can unsubscribe from marketing emails by clicking the unsubscribe link in the footer of such email. Note, however, that you (or the entity you represent) may be required to maintain an email address on file with TCRS in order to receive email communications concerning, for example, your entity’s event registration, sponsorship, partnership or community membership status and requirements.
- TCRS Accounts: You can keep your information (including your Certification- and Membership-related information) and payment methods accurate and up-to-date by logging into your TCRS Community Account on our Site. If you wish to cancel your TCRS Community Member Account, please contact us using one of the methods provided in the “Contact Us” section below. Note, however, that you (or the entity you represent) may be required to maintain a TCRS Community Account to comply with the terms of an applicable Certification or other agreement.
- Cookies: You may opt out of certain third-party cookies by following your browser’s instructions or by using the opt-out tools provided by the following industry groups:
If you do not accept cookies, you may experience some inconvenience in your use of the Site.
Likewise, you can opt out of Google Analytics’ cookies by following the instructions provided here
- User Requests: You can contact us at any time using our phone number: +1-603-317-5000 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org to request we do any of the following: (i) erase or delete all or some of your personal information; (ii) change, update, or correct your personal information; (iii) restrict how we use all or some of your personal information; (iv) access your personal information and, where applicable and feasible, request to receive that personal information in a commonly used electronic format (or ask for this information to be provided in that format to a third party); or (v) disclose what personal information we collect, use, or disclose. You may also request that we stop sharing your personal information with third parties for certain purposes by contacting us at the above phone number or email address. We will consider and respond to any such requests promptly, and otherwise in accordance with applicable laws.
If you are a resident of the EU, EAA, or UK, you may have other rights with respect to our collection and processing of your personal data. Please see section 12 (“Additional Notice to EU, EEA, and UK Residents”)
The Site is not directed to persons under the age of 16, and we do not knowingly or purposefully request or collect personal information from any person under the age of 16. If you believe that your child under the age of 16 has submitted personal information to TCRS in connection with our Site, please contact us at email@example.com
Although we use reasonable measures to protect your personal information from loss or unauthorized access, we cannot guarantee the security of information provided over the Internet or stored in our databases. Your transmissions are, therefore, at your own risk. You can help protect your information by selecting strong, unique passwords for your TCRS Account and any associated email accounts.
SUPPORTED WEB BROWSERS AND DO NOT TRACK SIGNALS
LINKS TO OTHER WEBSITES; SOCIAL MEDIA PLATFORMS
The Site may, from time to time, contain links to websites owned and operated by third parties (“Third Party Sites”). We encourage you to review the privacy policies of such Third Party Sites so that you understand how those websites collect, use, and share your information. We are not responsible for the privacy policies or other content on Third Party Sites.
We welcome your comments and questions. Please contact us at:
The Center for Responsible Seafood
1000 Market Street
Portsmouth, NH 03801 USA
Notice to EU, EEA, and UK Residents
We will only process your personal data to the extent applicable law allows us to do so.
The United States has not sought nor received a finding of “adequacy” from the European Union or the United Kingdom under article 45 of the GDPR or article 45 of the UK-GDPR. Therefore, we rely on derogations for specific situations as set forth in article 49 of the GDPR and article 49 of the UK-GDPR. In particular, we collect and transfer to the U.S. personal data only: with your consent; to perform a contract with you; or to fulfill a compelling legitimate interest in a manner that does not outweigh your rights and freedoms.If you are a resident of the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, or the United Kingdom, you have certain rights under applicable law, including the right to:
- Request that we provide you access to the personal data that we maintain about you;
- Request to correct, revise, or update any of the personal data we maintain about you;
- Request that we erase the personal data we maintain about you;
- Object to our processing of your personal data on the basis that the processing has a disproportionately detrimental impact on your interests, rights, and freedoms;
- Request that we restrict our processing activities related to your personal data;
- Withdraw your consent to our processing of your data at any time, however, such a withdrawal will not affect the lawfulness of our processing based on your consent prior to the withdrawal. Please note that where we rely on your consent in order to process your personal data and you then withdraw that consent, it may affect our provision of services to you, and may mean that we are unable to provide our services (either in part or in full) to you;
- Request to have your personal data reproduced in a structured, commonly used, and machine-readable format, whether or not such request relates to the transmission of the personal data to another party; and
- Require us to stop sending you marketing communications.
Residents of the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or the United Kingdom may initiate any of the above requests, objections, or requirements by sending us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
and writing “GDPR Request” in the subject line. You may also write to us at the postal address provided in Section 11 above.
Finally, you have the right to raise a concern about our collection and processing of your personal data with your local supervisory authority, available here
(EU/EAA) or here
(UK) and you may do so without prejudice to any other rights you may have.
Notice to Residents of Japan
We will only process your personal information to the extent applicable law allows us to do so.
The United States has not sought nor received designation as an “equivalent country” from Japan’s data protection authority. You understand and agree that we may transfer your personal information to the United States for processing. The laws of the United States may not afford the same protection as the APPI, however, TCRS will use reasonable measures to protect your personal information from loss and unauthorized access while in the United States. In the event that TCRS transfers your personal information or “person-related information” to a third party in the United States, we will do so only with your consent or otherwise as required or permitted by applicable law, and we will take reasonable measures to ensure your personal information is protected by such third party. If you are a resident of Japan, you may request TCRS provide you with additional information about our processing of your personal information (including the security measures we take to protect your information), and you may:
- Request that we provide you access to the personal information that we maintain about you, including our record of transfers to third parties;
- Request to correct, amend, or delete the personal information we maintain about you;
- Request that we delete the personal information we maintain about you; and
- Request that we cease processing your personal information in certain circumstances
Residents of Japan may initiate any of the above requests, or raise a concern about our processing of your personal information, by sending us an email at email@example.com
and writing “APPI Request” in the subject line. You may also write to us at the postal address provided in Section 11 above.